• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Runaround - Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

edenland

What is the name of your state? California

My husband has a son from an ex-wife who has since remarried. When they originally divorced the child was a few months old and his ex-wife remarried a few months later. Her intent was to remarry and adopt the child with her new husband, and after in depth discussions my husband agreed. The child is now 6 years old, and every year the wife says she will do the adoption and every year changes her mind and brings up excuses not to because she wants the money (my husband has never neglected monthly child support).

We talked to a psychologist and made the decision years ago that as the adoption was to take place, we wouldn't enter the childs life at all as this would confuse him. He views his stepfather as his true father and we didn't want to disrupt the family unit.

It's now going on 6 years and his ex-wife continually changes her mind about the adoption (and even filed to receive more child support last year). Her husband earns over $100K/yr. and they are doing very well financially. I'm angry and frustrated at this continual suspension of any resolution. Do we have ANY recourse at all here?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Seanscott

Obviouslyl, you cannot make the stepdad & mom go through with the adoption.

The only thing (IMO) that you could do is to force her hand.

Have your husband go to court and file for visitation. Then mom & stepdad will be faced with sharing the child or they will have to go ahead and file the petition to adopt. It's time for them to "spit" or get off the pot. I bet they'll start adoption proceedings pretty quickly!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">