• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step adoption when 1 parent is dead

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4gals1guy

What is the name of your state? IL

My stepdaughter's mom was killed in a car accident several years ago. My husband has custody, and the girl lives with us. Would it be wise for me to adopt her? Is it "simple" because there is no other parent involved? Would we have to notify the ex's family, since we can't notify her? I ask the questions because most of the stepparent adoption discussions on here involve a surviving parent. Since we don't have that, what do we need to do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

4gals1guy said:
What is the name of your state? IL

My stepdaughter's mom was killed in a car accident several years ago. My husband has custody, and the girl lives with us. Would it be wise for me to adopt her? Is it "simple" because there is no other parent involved? Would we have to notify the ex's family, since we can't notify her? I ask the questions because most of the stepparent adoption discussions on here involve a surviving parent. Since we don't have that, what do we need to do?

My response:

When you ask, "what do we need to do?", are you asking for step-by-step instructions?

IAAL

4gals1guy

I also asked:

1. Would it be wise for me to adopt her?
2. Is it "simple" because there is no other parent involved?

and

3. Would we have to notify the ex's family, since we can't notify her?

I think I made it clear how this situation is different than other stepparent adoptions. When it comes down to the step-by-step, we'll contact an attorney. For now, I'm trying to assess whether this is a good idea and how involved it will be.

Do you have any advice?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

4gals1guy said:
I also asked:

1. Would it be wise for me to adopt her?

MY RESPONSE: There is no way to answer this question. We don't know you, your criminal background, your maternal instincts, your financial situation, and about 100 other areas we'd need to know. In other words, this question is vague, ambiguous, over broad and unintelligible.

2. Is it "simple" because there is no other parent involved?

MY RESPONSE: Again, it all depends upon your definition of "simple". Depending upon the type of investigations that are required, the court appearances, and many, many other factors, some people would feel it's more simple to go through root canal work.

and

3. Would we have to notify the ex's family, since we can't notify her?

MY RESPONSE: Yes. They may choose to Petition the court for visitation rights.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">