• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom go to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawnapril

What is the name of your state? Florida
At the end of June this year my mother ended up in the emergency room with high blood pressure and stroke. Since, she has had tow surgeries been put in a nursing home and is now on medicaid. She as no assets or property.
I just found out at the police showed up at her former residence that she rented. Evidently she wrote some checks just before all this happened to pay for bills. Now they are looking for her to arrest her. Her checking account closed so I guess this is why there are some outstanding checks. The nursing home receives all of her money now.
My question is: will they be able to haul my mother away to jail?? She can not even remember her 1st surgery! Some of her memory is returning, but she is not responsible and can not take care of herself. I am sure this is a common thing that happens with the elderly. But what do I do before I call the police station and say I am the daughter and I know where my mother is? I just don't want them going down and questioning her at the nursing home or if they even would.
What is the law regarding these types of situations? Any advice would be helpful. Thankyou in advance.

P

PaulE

Chances are in case like this, the DA's office would not pursue charges due to your mothers medical conditions. I would contact the police department and let them no the circumstances. They are not going to hall her off to jail, because they would have to provide her medical care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">