• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this be wrongful discharge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelwings8297

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Recently my husband and I faced some serious financial problem. Some of the other managers where I work offered to loan me the money to help us out. (I did not ask them for it.) We have a new general manager who decided this past Tuesday to suspend me and investigate my behavior because he felt I "crossed the line" by accepting their help. I am the HR Rep/Payroll. This had nothing to do with work and did not affect my work. All monies have been repaid. I feel this is private business between to consenting individuals and was none of his business. He and I have not seen eye to eye since he became our GM and I think I am in his way and he is looking for a reason. On Monday he will decide whether or not I am terminated. If he does want to bring me back it will be an impossible work environment. Do have reason for wrongful discharge if he terminates me? Do I have any legal reason not to return if he decides not to terminate me? There is nothing that I have signed in my file that says what happened was wrong or violating any policy. There are no disciplinary documents at all in my file. I really need some advice quick!! HELP!!

JETX

Virtually all states are 'work at will', which simply means that the employer can terminate you with or without any reason... as long as it was not discriminatory. If your employer does terminate you, you can certainly ask that it be reviewed, but there is no legal liability.

Beth3

I agree with Halket. Your employer can terminate you for any reason except for a specifically prohibited one (such as due to your race, gender, age, etc.) Terminating you because you accepted a loan from a co-worker is not illegal.

(For what it's worth, when you're in HR/payoll or management, I can see why an employer might object to this. It has the potential to cause a conflict in interest.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">