• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandreev

Illinois\Non-Compete\Programming
Hi. I have a question regarding a Non-Compete agreement.
I have a small consulting company I work for ('A'). In April 1999 I found another consulting company (B) that in turn found another one ('C'). Company 'C' has a client 'D'. Now client 'D' wants me to be a full time employee or I'm out in one month. Company 'C' doesn't mind that but company 'B' threatens to take me to court. I don't really see the point of Non-Compete with company 'B' since they didn't have any connection with client 'D'. Am I right?

Here is how my Non-Compete looks with company B:
Consultant agrees during the term of this Agreement or any extensions thereof, and for a one year period thereafter, that he/she will not compete or attempt to compete with <company B>, any parent, subsidiary, or affiliate of <company B> or any entity which is the product of a merger with <company B>, by providing computer programming or data processing services, etc., including but not limited to: a) soliciting client b) soliciting any project work at client which was either being solicited by, or which was under contract to <company B> during the term of this Agreement (or any extension thereof), or by performing or causing to be performed in any capacity, including but not limited to that as a contract consultant, any project work which was either being solicited by or which was under contract to <company B> during the term of this Agreement (or any extension thereof), or c) by inducting any personnel of <company B> to engage in activities prohibited under this paragraph or by employing any such personnel for the purpose of engaging in such activities.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!!

W

Working_man

I have a similar problem but mine seems a little graver. I was fired because of my non-compete clause. See thread above.

Doesn't it make you mad that a company can dictate to you where you can work. I mean you are skilled in a specific area doesn't that limit where you can work and work doing a specific thing. I mean if I was a carpenter and I left my job, what am I going to do go become a doctor no I am going to be a carpenter. What I have seen is that if you are fired by a company you can do whatever the hell you want and the courts will not uphold the contract. But I am not sure about contractors moving from company to company.

In this job market if you are able to get a job then you should take it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">