• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tracy2k

What is the name of your state? WA
My brother was arresting by the police that he was taking the stuff cost 30 dollars from the store. he is 23 right now and he still in school. He will go to the court soon. I want to know what he must do right now. How much money he may have to pay, it's a lot of money..?? will this happend will stay in his record for life. is the anyway that he can be asking for not keep in his record??

racer72

Washington state law allow retailers to charge up to $500 as a civil penalty to anyone caught shoplifting. The penalty for shoplifting in court can be as high as 1 year in jail and a $10,000 fine. For a $30 item, he is looking at community service, a small fine and possible probation. Because this is a misdemeanor, he will not receive legal counsel from the court, he will have to pay for it himself. I would suggest he talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.

T

Tracy2k

thank for your advices and would you please tell me which community services I must contact??? thank you

racer72

You don't have to do anything. Your brother is an adult and will have to do everything himself. If he is sentenced to community service, he will receive that info when he is sentenced.

T

Tracy2k

In this kind of case, usually how much the lawyer will charge?? thanks.

J

JazzboneCS

Why dont you call an attorney and find out? Most attorney's will do a first visit for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">