• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was asked to accept demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susan m.

connecticut. my husband was asked by his employer to accept demotion. husband is supervisor in mill and was previously out on disability to get his diabetes under control. he is unable to do the manual work being performed in the mill (he is 51). my questions are: can they demote him without his consent? can he insist on a less strenuous position? how does disability affect this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If consent was needed before an employer could demote someone, no one would ever be demoted. Yes, they can demote him without his consent.

Key questions to answering the rest of your question, just because I'm having a hard time following it: Is he physically able to do the job he is currently in? Is he physically capable of doing the job they want to move him into? Why have they said they want to make this change?

S

susan m.

Answer questions from previous post

To CBG Senior Member: To answer questions...present job as supervisor is extremely stressful. The job the company wishes to demote my husband to requires a younger, stronger person. The demotion would therefore cause my husband to leave the company. They claim he is too valuable to lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">