• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired with no notice or reason please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TeeK58

What is the name of your state? New York City
I am writing this letter for a friend of mine. He was the super of this building for 15 years. On Aug. 23rd, his boss, Mike, came to his house to give him his paycheck and told him that he was fired. He told Louie, the super, not to go to work tomorrow. Mike didn't give Louie ANY notice or time to find other employment, he just fired him. When Louie asked him why he was being fired, he was told that he had hired two other workers, and that he couldn't afford to pay all three of them and that Louie was getting old and it would be better for him. He told him than that one of those new workers was going to be the new super of the building. At the time Louie was fired, he had four weeks of vacation time coming. Mike informed Louie that he had only ONE month to "get out" of the apt. "or there would be trouble". Mike told Louie that he wasn't going to pay Louie the money that is owed to him because he was going to use it as rent for Louie to stay in his apt. for a month. Louie has come to me for help. He wants to know what he should do about this. Should he report it to the NY Dept. of Labor??? Where should I start? If anyone has any experience with these kinds of situations, please let me know what I can do to help.
Thank-You for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer has not changed since you posted it on the Job Discrimination forum yesterday.

He should not report it to the DOL since this does not fall under the DOL's jurisdication. He should report it to the EEOC, since it is theirs.

Beth3

Ditto. No new employment laws have been passed in the last 24 hours that I know of.

I believe I also mentioned that your friend should contact the agency in NYC that deals with tennant-landlord issues and see if there is any statutory relief from 30 day notice he's been given to evict the premises.

T

TeeK58

Sorry Guys!

Sorry about the double post. My husband posted yesterday, and I did it today not knowing that he had already done it. Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">