• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer changing hours on timecard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

s_anderson27

What is the name of your state? CA

Is it leagal for a manager to change the hours of an employees time card? The manager states that the employee was gone for an hour, when in fact the employee was gone for 15 minutes.

Also, what is the law in CA about working more than 11 days in a row?

Thanks for any help!

Beth3

An employer is required to keep an accurate record of the hours worked for all non-exempt employees and pay employees for all those hours.

So while there is no law prohibiting a manager from changing time cards, the two conditions above must be met.

Y

yfw2

Can a employer do this?

I'm live in Tennessee. My employer recently had all of its' employees sign a document that stated, none of its' employees can work another job other than that one, if the other job is in conflict of interest with that particular job. This is a retail chain. Many were given an ultimatum, quit the other job or else. Many people need extra jobs to make ends meat. Is this fair? Can they do this? What can be done?

Beth3

Employers prohibiting employees from working a second job that would create a conflict in interest is very commonplace. For example, if I were to moonlight for a competitor of my employer, that would be a very significant conflict in interest.

The employer isn't prohibiting ALL second jobs so what exactly is the problem? True conflict in interest situations are quite uncommon.

The other possiblity you may be referring to is employees holding second jobs that interfere with their ability to work the schedule or hours required by their primary employer. If that is the case, your employer does have the right to say "either this job or the other one but not both." The employee has the right to chose which job to quit or be fired the next time they tell the boss they can't/won't work because of their other job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">