• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet harrasment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eccentricity

What is the name of your state? California

A guy that I was seeing was feeling rejected because I had plans for last weekend and couldn't get together with him, so on Monday, he went on the internet, into a chat room and put my phone # up and told people to call to f**k his girlfriend and he said other things that are slanderous and not true. I only know this because my cell phone started ringing constantly on Monday, during the day, while I was at work. I eventually answered and the caller said he was letting me know that someone was putting my number on the internet and saying obscene things. I did change my cell number, so I'm not still getting calls, but I want to know if what he did is illegal, what type of crime it is, and if there is anything I can do about it. He knows where I live and I have children at home, I'm afraid he may do something worse, please help.

stephenk

what he did was illegal. did any of the callers to your cell phone leave messages? dont erase them if they did.

contact the police and make a report. you may need to get a restraining order against this doofus.

H

Holystarbucks

Safety first

First Contact local Law enforcement (Police) since 1990, Internet laws have been growing and protection and privacy are the two leading areas.

Second change all your phone numbers. Tell the phone companies the problems and you should avoid charges for the changes.

Third don't respond to any communications from anyone you don't know.

Last be more careful who you give personal info to.

Good Luck

The above are only ideas and should not be considered facts, only opinions.

E

eccentricity

No, I don't have any messages on my phone, and there were caller ID #'s, but they're no longer on my recent calls list. I don't really have any way to prove that it was him, he admitted it to me (while laughing his butt off) but I doubt he'd admit it to police. Should I call the police and report it anyway? Or will the cops be mad that I'm wasting their time--this IS southern California?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">