• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery & Embezzelment with proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treeboss

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I own a business. Former (as of August) fiance/estimator for my business has gone out and done estimates, received deposits (written to our company name) and cashed the checks without my knowledge of the obligation, nor my knowledge of the money being spent. His name is NOT on the business account.
I am finding out this man is in serious trouble with crack and owes just about everyone in town.
The best thing is, this customer happens to have been able to provide a copy, front and back, of the cancelled check.

Not only is this person "on the hook for forgery" but, isn't it illegal for the bar he cashed the check at to have cashed a business check? I was under the impression, from my bank, all business checks have to be deposited.

What steps do I take next? From what I hear, his is a Federal offense...what liability does the bar have? If I get more of these, can it amount to false impersonation or mis-representation, as well? I am meeting with someone else who called today but they said they made the check out to him personally, even though the Estimate was on Company letterhead forms. How can I make this stop?

This is not the first time this has happened, this is only the first time I have had the guts to tell people what was going on and not make it look like I had "mis-placed their work order". The rest of my crew has helped me honor these work orders...for sake of maintaining my business integrity...I now have some community support.

Will an ad in the paper absolve me of any further obligations (Legal Notice Section)? Do I need a personal attorney or can the States Attorney proceed for me?

Help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">