• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overworked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smilie

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I am a salaried employee, practicing in medicine under a contract. I work anywhere from 50-70 hours weekly, without any paid overtime or comp (off) time. Is this legal? What can I do? My contract renews soon. What can I include in the new contract to avoid working so many hours without compensation?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, this is legal, and not even unusual. The average exempt employee will put in far more than a 40 hour week on the average, and I know some who regularly put in 80 hour weeks. Nothing in either Federal or state law makes it necessary to pay exempt employees additional compensation or offer comp time.

Neither Federal nor Louisiana law puts a legal limit on the number of hours per week that can be worked. Barring some industry specific regulations which involve safety (airline pilots, for example) an employer in Louisiana (and most other states as well) can legally work you 24/7/365 if they want to.

You can certainly attempt to have something put into your contract limiting the number of hours you work, but please consider 1.) your employer is not legally bound to accept such a condition and 2.) if your employer looks favorably on things like "team spirit" trying to add such a condition will probably not make him look favorably on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">