• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worker's Compensation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maxweell

What is the name of your state? Georgia

The current economic situation at my company is requiring the owners to "outsource" employees of which I am one. Other than being laid off, the only option I have is to accept a temporary position at another company which they have selected. I understand from the other employees who have been outsourced, that they were required to sign a three party contract (employee, employer and temporary employer) which stated all the details of the temporary assignment. At the end of the contract, my current employer has included a statement that relieves them of responsibility of guaranteeing employment at the end of the temporary assignment.

My concern is if I sign this contract with this clause, will this disqualify me in collecting unemployment compensation if my employer does not offer my job back after my temporary assignment? With times the way they are in my profession, I'm expecting that I will be out of work for months while looking for another job. This partial income would be crucial during this period.

Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Off the top of my head, I can't see why it should have any effect on your UC. It wouldn't in my state. The only way I can imagine it would have any kind of affect is if your state has a requirement that you have been working for the employer from whom you are claiming UC, within a period of time that is exceeded by the length of your temporary assignment.

But UC laws are extremely state specific, so for the best answer you should contact the unemployment office nearest you and ask them. They are the only ones who can give you a binding answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">