• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vinnies mom

what is the name of your state? massachusetts

we have petitioned the court to adopt our grandson,the bio parents have had nothing to do w/ him for16 months,they are drug addicts.they plan to contest saying they want a chance.how difficult of a problem will this be for us? lori

Seanscott

The courts will do whatever is in the best interest of the child. Remember that!

The (contested) adoption process may take a year or even longer. I know that sounds like an awfully long time, but the longer the grandchild is in your home, the harder it will be for the parents to take him away from you.

If there has been no support, and no contact for an extended time (in Indiana it's one year), then the child can be declared abandoned.

I think a judge will agree that the parents have had their chance, and failed.

I imagine you are in for a battle, but a winnable one. It doesn't sound like Mom & Dad can make the effort, or pay the expense to put up a real fight.

I'm not a lawyer, just someone who's had to learn the adoption laws the hard way.

You are in my prayers. Best of luck.

D

dorenephilpot

Though Seanscott isn't a lawyer, he's giving some good advice here.

Good luck with your situation. The child is lucky to have you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">