• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gizmo1007

What is the name of your state? new jersey

I need some information. I was asked to resign or be terminated for personal reasons, so I resigned. I need to know if I am entitled to my sick time pay. I was an exempt employee. The personnel ordinance states that vacation is paid which I have received. It states sick time is paid at time of retirement. It make no mention of sick pay at time of resignation. I have 12 years worth of time approximately 90+ days. It seems to me I earned them over the 12 years and I should be entitled.

I need to know if I have any legal stand.

thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you don't. To the best of my knowledge, no state requires the pay out of sick time at termination. Your only recourse would have been if you had a combined vacation/sick policy, which does not appear to have been the case, or if your company policy stated that sick time would be paid out at termination, which is not the case.

Beth3

I'm not aware of any State laws that require an employer to (a) provide paid sick days at all or (b) pay out unused sick days upon separation.

You can call the NJ DOL to verify but I expect you'll find that this benefit is provided entirely at the behest of the employer and they can handle it as they wish.

Federal law doesn't touch this topic at all and typically neither does State law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">