• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay rates and changes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kencarol0588

What is the name of your state?

I am in the state of California.

I work as a Medical Transcriptionist. I am an employee for a national company. We get paid by the line typed, i.e., for example 8 cents a line, we type medical records. Typically a line is 65 characters or keystrokes. There is a software program on our computers that adds up the lines and gives us a count at the end of every report. Every two weeks we are paid for lines typed x 8 cents. this is the basic structure. Well, some employees are saying they are not able to type as many lines as they used to type, it seems like they have to work harder for the same lines. The employer has the ability to set the size of the line in our computers to whatever they desire, 65, 70, 72, 75, etc. We have asked for a document stating how many characters make a line and what keystrokes are paid for and what are not and also asking for the instructions to be able to view this on our computer so we can see what our particular computers settings are. Some have asked for this as much as six months ago and no one has given us such documentation. So at this point we are told we are on a 65 character line but we have no written proof and we are not able to check the line for ourselves. My point is that a person being paid by the hour knows that an hour is 60 minutes not 70 or 90 minutes. We should be able to verify how long the line is. Do you think this violates some sort of labor law to keep this information from us?

Thanks so much!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you were in any other state I'd say no, it does not violate any labor law. Since you are in California, I'll say almost certainly not, but since California has a number of laws that are completely different than any other state, I suppose there is a very slim chance that there is something. I suggest that you call the CA Wage and Hour division, or whatever it's called in your state, and ask them.

K

kencarol0588

Okay thanks for the reply. My thinking is there must be something wrong with no actually knowing what your rate of pay is.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">