• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

revoked severance and denied unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

magical5

Pennsylvania

I have been fired after I worked for 5 years and was a good employee. I had a very casual relationship with my employers. When I was fired I had 6 vacation days left and had worked one week. I owed them some money for a loan and the phone bill. They calculated what I had owed to me and what I had owed to them and decided that I was owed a little over $400.00 when I left. The cut me a check and told me to pick it up the next Monday. Monday came and when I called to go get the check, they informed me that they revoked the severance pay because they found out I filed for unemployment. They also told me they took it personally that I filed and would fight me every step of the way. After a few weeks when I was ready to file my appeal with Unemployment my former employer called me and told me that they already presented evidence to unempl. and that my appeal would be denied. They also told me when I was fired that I could use them as a refrence and they would give me a good review since I had been such a long standing employee, but upon finding out about my filing for unemployment, they recinded the offer for being a reference for me. The reasons the gave to Unemployment for firing me are not the same reasons the told me I was being fired. I assume they just used things they could prove to them. Do I have any leagal recourse?:mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you had a contract that guaranteed you severance, they are not obligated by any law to pay it. Likewise nothing in any law requires them to act as a reference for you. Therefore, I can't think of any kind of legal recourse you might have. They are breaking no laws.

However, if the time you have to appeal is not yet expired, do it anyway. Until your unemployment commission tells you that your appeal is denied, it isn't. Your employer does not get to make that decision - all they can do is present their evidence and the state makes the decision whether or not to deny the appeal.

They are not required to give you the same reasons they give the UC board. They are not required to give you any reasons at all, to be frank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">