• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing husbands name to checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pamelashaffer

What is the name of your state? va

have been married 8 years , seperated since august 4, 2002. Husband claims stole checks and forged his name on them.

for past 8 years his name is the only one on checking account, but my money went into the account also. bills would come in to be paid he would hand me check book and say pay them, i paid them and signed his name to the check with his full knowlege and now he is wanting to say that is not so.

what happens now?'

HomeGuru

pamelashaffer said:
What is the name of your state? va

have been married 8 years , seperated since august 4, 2002. Husband claims stole checks and forged his name on them.

for past 8 years his name is the only one on checking account, but my money went into the account also. bills would come in to be paid he would hand me check book and say pay them, i paid them and signed his name to the check with his full knowlege and now he is wanting to say that is not so.

what happens now?

**A: why did you not change the checking account to a joint one or open a new joint account during the past 8 years?
Are you a signatory on the account? Why have you been forging his name for the past 8 years? Why did you not write all the checks, then just have HIM sign them?

Last edited:

Bravo8

The Statute of Limitations will most likely be up on many of the checks.

Why has he not come forward before, if you were signing checks without his permission?

It's going to be hard to prove you intended to steal money from him when it went toward the bills.

He's just trying to scare you.

Contact your attorney just to be safe, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

P

pamelashaffer

Thank yuou both for your reply

why not a joint checking? quote from him " im the man, i work , i pay the bills.
Everything was in his name alone he never put anything in my name, home, vehicles, land everything.
He worked out of state and would come home late get up next morning bills would have to be paid so he gave be check book to pay them that is what happened nothing else.

he lives by old rules he says everything goes to man

any thank you all for your help

oh one other thing i forgot to mention, someone called social services on him fo r spousal and child abuse and he packed his stuff and left because he knew he was going to jail.
That is why he is doing this i beleive is fro revenge or vendeta only trying to hurt me. not hurting me though hurting the kids.

Beth3

The behavior you describe is pretty classic for an abuser, which includes keep you completely financially dependent upon him, so it came as no big surprise when you said you your last post that someone had called social services on him for spousal and child abuse. You're lucky he packed up and left expeditiously - that seldom happens. Sadly, you can probably now count on him making life as difficult for you as he possibly can, such as raising these allegations of forgery. He's furious he's lost control over you and the situation and you are exactly right - he's doing this for revenge.

If you have not yet done so, please contact the crisis/counseling center in your community that provides assistance to victims of comestic violence. One of the many services they can provide to you (and your children) is steering you to an attorney who can assist you and who specializes in legally complex situations such as yours.

Good luck. It may be a struggle for a while but you are very fortunate to be out of this relationship.

P.S. Assuming that the checks in question were made out to the electric company, the phone company, paid the rent/mortgage, grocery store, and so forth, I expect your husband will have a difficult time pursuing this. I doubt the District Attorney in your area is interested in prosecuting a crime of forgery against a victim of spousal abuse who clearly wrote checks on the family's ONLY checking account to cover her family's living expenses. Plus the fact that you did so for all these years clearly shows your husband knew exactly what was going on and, at a minimum, never objected. The reasonable conclusion is that you were just doing what he told you.

P

pamelashaffer

Thankyoiu Beth 3 for your advice

as the saying goes no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. After he left he tried and wanted to come back wanting to get our FAMILY back. I told him we did not have a family and i would not let him back in. That is when all HELL broke loose, i am truley glad he is gone and will not let him set foot back into my home again, the only problem now is that my children are afraid that he will come back, or take them from me. he has threatened to kill me and the children to get out of paying support and the way he is he may do it, i have asked for help from all agencies their statement until he does something we can do nothing. I am writing a statement in letter form and sending it to different people in the event of my death they are to open it so that it can be read and he can be charged with it if anything does happen he is crazy and it is really sad that he has every one fooled into thinking he is mr. nice guy

well anyway that is enough venting lol. thank you for you r advice
:D
pam shaffer
going crazy in virginia:eek:

Beth3

Pam, PLEASE contact your area's domestic violence counseling center. They can provide emergency shelter for you and your children if need be, assist you in making a safety plan for yourself and the children, provide counseling, help you get a restraining order, direct you to expert legal counsel, help you to get a job so you can becomie financially independent, and so on.

Whoever told you nothing can be done until he does something is wrong.

You need to take your husband's threats very seriously. The police knowing who to arrest after you are dead does not do you or your children one bit of good.

Please call them today. The police can give you their phone number as can your local hospital, you can find them in the yellow pages, or just pick up the phone and ask the operator to help you locate their number.

P

psshaffer

hi im back
well this time i took beth advice i called family resource center and they helped me alot, took charges out on him for spusal, and child abuse(*have pictures*) they arrested him last saturdaysept 24 at his grandmothers, he posted bond and trial date is set for Nv. 6.
my children and i are now receiving therapy for this abuse and i also took a resraing order out on him that i have to go back oct 15 to renew for 2 years.

now get aload of this his mother came up to my home this past weekennd and told me that rent was do ??? i said what the house is paid for and we dont pay rent shawn gave me the house no she said, you owe me the money now, so i told her no then she said i had ten days to get out with her own grandchildren standing there listing to it, my son andrew 8 asked her if she was throwing him out of his home and she looked him right in the eye and grinned. She said that Shawns lawyer said that i would have to pay rent, i do not unerstand this since home is paid for????? I feel my ex is not being honest with his lawyer like i have mine told her everything even thing i would not dare mention here. So as she was walking off i told her that if they were going to evict me from my home to please make sure they did it legally so that i would have the proper paper work to take to custody and abuse hearing to show judge just what kind of parent and grandparent my children have, she walked off and have not heard form since,

these people act like there is millions of dollars at stake here we are talking about a 1996 oakwood mobile home, and a 2000 nissan quest. He closed checking account with my workers comp repay check of over 14,000.00 in it and bought himself a cd. there is no telling how much he has hidden if they are acting this way. he has not paid the first thing in child support ot alimony and i have to pay rent. get out of my face, the abuser is out of the house i am not gooing to be abused anymore by him no matter what. he can get over it..... I get 300 a week workers com i have not asked for one thing all i want is home and car and for him to leave me and kids alone,i have no proble with visitation wiht kids as long as they are supervised because he is very abusive.

still waiting to hear on the check deal they did put a restriction on my sons account because he called First Union and told them i had stolen his checks and forged his name. they froze my sons checking account saying that they were investigating mr shaffers aligations causing us to be put in finacial bind for almost three weeks. he told
First Union he took a warrent out on me for this and they beleived him and froze my sons account, now this son has nothing to do with mr shaffer this is my first son by first relationship not blood related or even adopted by mr. shaffer.
i told First union i needed a letter stating why they did this they refused i said i need to know what their findins were they refused. I would love to find a lawyer to take on First Union for me because of this and work on commision and take them to the BANK lol. anyway i have talked to some and was told that they could not do that and i shoud sue them but what are the chaces of me winning????? Any way like all big corporate places they alwas win and the small man looses no matter what you do.

Mr shaffer did call forsythe county sheriff office in w-s n.nc and filled a report and it was turned over to the da but i do not know what will happen with that since we live in virginia and it has been over a month since he did that?
anyway i will keep posting to let all know what happens in the commonwealth state of virgina with child custody, seperation, abuse charges and anything else that creeeps up

thanks for any information
Pamela Sawyers Shaffer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">