• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scaredmominohio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a 4 year old son and I currently live with his grandparents (my parents). They have threatened in the past to take custody of him or for me to sign over guardianship of him to them until "I get back on my feet" as they would say. Would a court grant them custody or guardianship of my son?

D

dorenephilpot

Not unless you abandon the child there, leave him, fail to support him and they can then prove you unfit.

In this instance, you are living with the child and presumably providing for his needs.

If you want to AGREE to a guardianship, you can. However, if it's contested, they'll probably lose unless they can show that you have abandoned the child and they are the ones who are in fact raising him.

Sounds to me like you need to pull yourself up by the boot straps, get an education and a good job and get out and support yourself, rather than relying on these folks.

It's time to rely on yourself, not others. Do the right thing here for yourself and your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">