• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued Over Helping Someone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kabie

What is the name of your state? VA
I don't know if this is where this goes but here goes. Back in 1998 my husand and I befriended a Kurdish couple that just moved to the USA. He had me write out checks to pay his bills and he would sign the checks. Things got really interwined together. Basically, we were running two households at one time. They had two children already and one on the way. We managed to get a house for them to buy themselves. While they lived with us for a total of 6 months, before we could move them into there house. Needless to say, they owed money for the utilities and food while they stayed with us. Not to say that he would pay us for tutoring their children. Before we had done anything concerning their finances we had them signing a note stating that we had full rights to thier finances, utility bills, medical and etc. When we moved them into their own house we got them a refridge because their house didn't come with one and we paid for it until he could get a job since he lost his right before we went to closing. He wanted the basement to have bedrooms in it. Told my husband to go get the supplies and he would pay the credit card bill when it came in, for which he did. He also said that he would pay us for the whole house fan, and refridg. when he got more money saved up. our older children where tutoring his children and he said that he would pay them for the school year.

When he started to get some money saved up we told him that he would have to start repaying us back. He said no problem write check I sign. Thats what we did. The guy owes us about $5,000.00 and with the checks that we have recouped the total amount is about $1,000.00 He would leave blank signed checks at my house to cover any bills that came in or if I needed to take his wife shopping.

Now this SOB is coming back and saying that we stole the money from him. He has already pulled two checks back from our account after the money had been in there for 8 months. They went with the basis signature not on file. and in in Lieu of Return.

This gets even better, now he is suing us for the amount of checks that was already pulled back to his account and for the credit card that he paid for his supplies and for a few other checks.

We have this letter giving us authorization to handle all his bank accounts, finances and medical, etc. signed by him and his wife. HE took it to commonwealth of VA and they closed their case against us stating no case. He now is on his 3rd attorney with this and court date has been set for October 9th. He is wanting the money for the two checks, and federal tax return that he and his wife signed that went towards closing, the money for the building supplies that went for his room in his basement two checks that he invested into the stockmarket and lost big time and demanded the return of the moneyeven if he had to take a loss for which he did.

WE have given his attorney a breakdown on what the checks that were made out to us were for. The attorney now wants receipts, but our only problem is we gave the couple the receipts to keep for their records. WE never dreamed that we would be going to court otherwise we would have kept the receipts..

We didn't do anything malios or anything.

What is the likely hood that this guy is going to win. This is ths third attorney he has hired. Each time time the amount has gone up. With the commonwealth of VA it was $2,800.00. The first attorney it went to 28,000.00 the last attorney it was 32,000.00, now we are at $41,000.00. The total of the rebursiment to ourselves was a total of less than $1,000.00

My question to you is what is the likelyhood we will win this case.

Last edited:

C

CorySLOC

What

(Q)My question to you is what is the likelyhood we will win this case.

(A)So what your saying is this guy has taken you to court 3 times over the same issue. My question to you is how have you been to court over this same case 3 times before with the same result? Do you have an attorney? This is no longer a small amount of money. Something is not right here. Write back with better details on the first 3 cases.

K

kabie

VA.

We have never made it to court. Each time he has hired an attorney they have dropped the case. Now he has a new attorney that he has convinced we have done him wrong. This attorney has filed for Warrent in Debt. Stating that we forged this guys signature. We never did. We have given his attorney and explaination for all checks that were involved. The checks that were involved are the same checks he took to the Commonwealth Attorneys and tried to file criminal charges against us with. The CommonWealth Attorney could find no wrong doing. The problem is that this guy had us write out his bills with his check and he would sign them. So everything is in our handwriting but his signature. He states that I forged his name on an IRS check. That was deposited into his account. He got a copy of that check but he is claiming I stoled it. The money was used to put towards his closing cost on his house that we helped him get. He bought a refrid. from us, the check is too us. He wants that money back now. he had us charge 500.00 on our credit card for his building supplies we had him pay the bill because he convinently left his card at home when he and my husband went to the HomeDepot to get the supplies for his remodeling of his basement. He wants that money back now. He invested in to a Stock Market account. He wants us to reimburse him for the money he put into the account and lost. We have this letter giving us authorization to handle all his bank accounts, finances and medical, etc. signed by him and his wife. But now he says that doesn't matter he wants his money back. He has already recouped about $600.00 from our account that the checks were deposited in for over a year and he comes back says that the checks were insufficient funds and pulled the money from our account to his.

Hopes this helps explains things. The guy follows me through out the store and whereever we go he is there following. I am at my wits end with this guy. What should we do fight it or just pay him off and hope that he will quit, which I doubth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">