• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bushrob

What is the name of your state? New York

I recently interview for a job as a computer programmer. During the interview I specifically asked if the company had an on-call policy or if there were any plans for one. I was told that they did not have one and did not currently have any plans for one.
I accepted the job at their offered salary based on this information. I was told during my first week that they were preparing to implement a comprehensive 24x7 on-call policy. When speaking to my co-workers I found out that this policy has been in the works for 6 months.
When I asked my manger about this she claimed to have never told me that they did not have plans for a policy and asked me if I was resigning and I quit.
None of this seems fair to me but it appears that everyone is siding with the employer on this matter.
Do I have a leg to stand on if I dispute my unemployment insurance claim?

Beth3

I tend to doubt it. You quit not because you were actually asked to work certain hours, you quit because they were preparing to implement a policy you didn't care for. There's a big difference in quitting in anticipation of something vs. something that has actually taken place. And even if the policy had actually been implemented, it's still very iffy whether you would have been able to collect UC benefits.

You can certainly apply for benefits and see what happens though. Each State's UC reg's vary.

B

bushrob

So the fact that they misrepresented themselves during the interview process has no bearing?

Beth3

I rather doubt it. You (a) still had a job, (b) at the rate of pay that was promised to you, and (c) at the hours that were stated in the offer AT LEAST SO FAR. I think that's the issue the UC folks will base their decision on.

But as I said, UC reg's vary from State to State so all I'm giving you is an educated general opinion. By all means apply and see what happens.

By the way, this discussion may all be pointless. If I understand correctly, you only worked there a week or so. You may not even have been employed lthere ong enough to be eligible for benefits at all, regardless of the reason for your separation.

F

freddyzero

Bush rob:

You one dumb idiot.....

You need to read the unemployment booket, you are automatically denied usually 8 weeks of benefits if you QUIT/resign any job in america.

You ALWAYS get fired and even led out by armed guards, then you have a fighting chance.

Beth3

I see you're back at it again, "freddy." You've made a career out of getting fired.

"you are automatically denied usually 8 weeks of benefits if you QUIT/resign any job in america." That is a grossly inaccurate statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">