• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

w.bruno

What is the name of your state? Florida

My employer has been misappropriating my court ordered child support payments since January 2002. The state that ordered the payments to be withheld from my paycheck is New Jersey. My paycheck stubs prove that the money has been withheld. What should I do? I'm afraid I'm going to be arrested for not paying when, in fact, I have been.

JETX

1) What evidence do you have that he has been 'misappropriating' the funds?
2) What does the county/state DA show for your account activity??

If there is a discrepancy, take your stubs to the county/state DA and show that the CS has been deducted. Ask them to investigate where it went to.

W

w.bruno

Florida-My employer told me that his wife, who was supposed to be sending the payments to New Jersey Family Support Center, had, instead, been using the money to support her new florist shop. He said that he took care of the matter over a month ago, but when I called the Family Support hotline to find out how much they had received, I found that, year to date, they've only received $750.00. Yet, year to date $2700.00 has been withheld from my pay.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You asked, "What should I do?"

Well, now that you know a crime has been committed, what is it that you'd LIKE to do, and what is holding you back?

Obviously, you knew a crime was, and still is being, committed. So, are you just going to let this continue to your detriment? Are you afraid of losing your job? You wrote here for a deeper reason because I'm sure you would have already taken action - - so, again, what's holding you back?

IAAL

W

w.bruno

Florida-I'm not quite sure what I can do. The Family Services department that ordered the withholding of child support is in New Jersey and I, and my employer, live in Florida. Who has jurisdiction?
I sent a letter, to NJ Family Services, explaining the situation and requesting a computer printout of all payments received since 1 Jan. 2002, as well as, copies of any letters to my employer ordering the CS be withheld. I enclosed copies of my last four paycheck stubs showing the CS had, in fact, been withheld. I asked if they would pursue this matter, or should I file charges myself. I mailed the letter by certified mail and requested delivery confirmation. I have the original letter, my paycheck stubs, and the receipts from the post office. Since the letter was mailed on 26 September 2002, I have not, of course, received delivery confirmation or a response, as yet. However, a couple of weeks ago, when I discovered that the money was still not being paid, I wrote Family Services, explained that the money had been withheld from my paycheck, and enclosed my latest paycheck stub with the child support circled in red, and their response was to send me payment coupons. I can't afford to send them CS payments, myself, in addition to having the payments withheld from my pay. I thought that, once they saw my check stub, they would investigate the matter themselves, without my having to implicate my employer, myself, but that was not the case. They tend to not pay attention very well. I'm afraid they'll put a warrant out for my arrest, and ask questions later.
When my employer confronted his wife with what she had done, her attitude was "tough, I needed the money, myself" so, I would not have a problem with putting her in jail. My employer, though, is guilty only in the sense that the company is in his name (her's, too). My employer has a cabin cruiser sitting in his driveway and his wife has a horse in the backyard, either of which could have been sold, if they needed money, instead of stealing my child support payments.
Should I find an attorney, or have I adequately covered myself? Since more than one state is involved, is this a matter for the FBI? I'm going on vacation in a week (planned since May) and don't want to lose my vacation pay, at this time, but will be changing jobs upon my return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">