• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

don't know where bio father is, husband wants to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momo2002

What is the name of your state? tx

My son is now 7 yrs old. I have no idea where his father is. I have been married for 1 1/2 yrs. and my husband wants to adopt my son. When I first had my son my cousin told me if he had hi father's last name it would be easier to get child support. Me being young and dumb, I believed her and gave it to him.His father has never done anything for him and has maybe seen him a total of 10 times out of his whole life. When I told him I was married he told me not to call him anymore and if my son wanted to talk to his daddy let him talk to his new daddy. I was told he can sign over his parental rights. Is this true? We have no problem taking him to court if need be, but if we can't find him to take him to court nor ask him to sign over his rights how will my husband be able to adopt him? A while back a military lawyer told me that the judge may have a little mercy on me since he has never been around. Is this true? Please help!!!!1

D

dorenephilpot

I do not know Texas law, but under the conditions you describe -- lack of contact by bio dad and lack of support paid by bio dad, you would be able to have your current husband adopt the child if you lived in Indiana. The laws may be similar in your state.

Generally, how do you get notice on someone whose whereabouts are unknown? You run a legal notice in the paper. That will be sufficient to meet the needs of providing notice to bio dad.

I would suggest that you get a Texas attorney on board to handle this adoption.

Shop around. Prices vary wildly among attorneys who handle adoptions.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">