• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HR in violation of law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elaine Burrelli

What is the name of your state? PA

What is the requirement of Human Resources Department. When my husban was hired at a local college, He was NOT given anything from the Human Resource Department, no staff handbooks, no benefits package, NO job description, NOTHING. What is the legal recourse in this. There are other issues as well regarding his "letting go." After numerous attempts to contact the HR department, we are still in the dark, and he is not given nothing.

He was not given breaks in his job, he was promised full-time employment up unti l the time he was "let go."

What is our recourse?

Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the surface, no laws have been broken, unless by "nothing" you also mean things like I-9 forms, W-4 forms etc.

Job descriptions are not required by law. Staff handbooks are not required by law. Benefits are not required by law. Neither PA nor Federal law requires breaks.

If he and only he was singled out not to receive such things AND if it was because of his race, gender, religion etc., then he may have an illegal discrimination claim. If certain benefit programs exist, if he is eligible for them and he was refused access, he MAY have an ERISA claim. However, if there is a waiting period that he had to fulfil before becoming eligible for benefits, then failing to give him a benefits package is not actionable.

More info is needed before it can be assumed that any laws have been broken.

Beth3

Ditto. There are no laws which require an employer to provide any of those items to employees, return their phone calls, or (with the exception of a couple of States), give a reason for termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">