• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re:previous thread about adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harleyc

re:previous thread about adoption

What is the name of your state? North Carolina The child I would like to adopt is the sister of my bio son. The mother would like to give me parental rights to the girl. Is guardianship good or is adoption the way I need to go? I guess I was not too clear on the situation before but maybe this will help a little more.

D

dorenephilpot

Only you can answer the question of whether a guardianship or an adoption is the way to go.

A guardianship is something that can be dissolved in the future by one of the parties petitioning the court to do so. Sometimes that makes it more palatable to the bio parent -- and sometimes that's all the bio parent will agree to.

An adoption, on the other hand, is a permanent severing of the bio parent's parental rights.

Now, if you want to do a post-adoption contact agreement, you can. It's not required, however, but sometimes can make an adoption more palatable to the bio parent.

That's a document that specifies the terms for contact between the bio parent and the child for the future.

It can include visits, phone calls, letters, gifts and is legally enforceable under contract law.

Both a petition for guardianship and a petition for adoption must be filed with the court and be approved by the court before they are legal.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">