• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 weeks' notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bengal.cat

What is the name of your state? Washington

I gave 2 weeks' notice to my employer; however, they let me go on that day and didn't pay me through the end of the 2 weeks' notice.

I am aware that Washington is an at will state. My question is, if they accept my notice, do they have to pay me through the end of that 2 weeks if they let me go early?

Thank you!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This exact, same, question has been asked about a dozen times in the last two months by other writers.

This is why this site suggests - -

"**** Before posting a question, please check the Questions and Answers listed on the Home Page to see if your question was already covered or easily search over 155,000 previously posted questions and answers. ****

Click on that statement, at the top of this screen.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And in case you can't find it, I'll tell you.

No.

No Federal or state law, in any state, requires that an employee be paid for time they did not work. They are not required by law to pay you for your notice period. Although some companies do so as a courtesey, they cannot be compelled to.

Depending on the laws of your state, it may be that you will be eligible for unemployment for that time period. You will have to contact your state unemployment commission for a definite answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">