• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation of grandchild by grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ang0ie

State is SC. Can grandparents sue DSS for not allowing them to have visitation with a grandaughter? The child was removed because the grandchild (15 years old) has accused the father of sexual assault (touching her breasts and theighs). DSS says that until the grandparents agree that the assault did happen, they can't see the child. The assault did not happen in the grandparents opinion, because the child is mentally disturbed. DSS says cooperate and they can see the child. Don't cooperate and they can not see the child.

Last edited:

kat1963

DSS can tell you anything they want. And they'd love nothing more then to get you to stipulate to this crime (maybe they lack evidence?? Look at what's been happening down in TX this past week concering teenagers and the *abuse excuse*). You don't care what they say or what they want you to do or sign, you want a JUDGE to make the final ruling. When they find out you are filing a motion, they will probably say to you "If you sign this (safety plan? yadda yadda), the judge will take more kindly to your request...tell them that's okay, you just want to do everything by *court order* from now on. You'll probably need to file a motion for frequent and meaningful visitation.
Good Luck!
KAT

A

ang0ie

Filing a Motion

How does one file a motion to the judge? Do you need an attorney to do it? And, you are right, they have no evidence.
Kat, is there a place on the net where the information about what is going on in Texas is posted.

kat1963

Angie, the article was read to me over the phone. Apparently there was so attention given to the matter after 2 high school girls skipped class then reported that they had been held prisoner & sexually assaulted that someone investigated false abuse claims... As it turns out that there have been 60 falsely reported cases in which the false reporters are actually (whhooohaaaa! Imagine that!) Being charged with their crimes. Yes, they are minors. I’ll see it’s been posted on line.

www.cpswatch.com has the form available for your filing, no you do not need a lawyer. Sign up for the e-mail support group. You might find someone in SC who has been there and who can assist you the in’s and out’s of SC courts. In addition you might want to see if this website has anything for your use http://www.familyrightsassociation.com You’ll find this interesting reading indeed , it’s SC policy on visitation. http://ssw.unc.edu/fcrp/Cspn/vol5_no4.htm Oh, dern, that’s NC, I’ll see if I can find SC, probably about the same anyway, but they do like to hide this stuff.

Let me know how it’s going! Hey, where is Mom in all this?

KAT

racer72

A Supreme Court decision from a few years ago says that grandparents do not have a legal right for visitation. In the case Troxel v. Granville, it was determined that grandparents do not have the right to petition a court for child visitation and that the parent/s of child/ren have the right to say who can and cannot see their children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">