• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redpuma

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My dorm room was recently searched because the police said they had suspicion that there was something in the room. After signing some papers they searched the room and found some beers that I had forgot were in my roomates fridge. I was never given a breathelizer. Can I be charged with an underage? Isnt it my roomates beer and not mine?

Last edited:

C

CorySLOC

Papers

(Q)Can I be charged with an underage? Isn’t it my roommate’s beer and not mine?

(Q) Did the officer give you a copy of the papers?

(Q) What was paper that you signed and what did it say?

(Q) Did it give them consent to search your dorm?

(Q) What was the probable cause for them to come to your dorm?

(Q) Can I be charged with an underage? Isn’t it my roommate’s beer and not mine?

(A) If you gave consent to the officer and he came in and found the beer in the fridge your out of luck if minors were drinking. What I don't understand is did any minors get MIP?

(A)If no minors were drinking and you are of legal age to have beer in the fridge then the officers have no real reason to charge you. Now since you are the responsible adult you should have stopped the under age drinking if any minors were present and drinking, or you should have removed yourself from the situation if minors were present drinking.

You are responsible for keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors. For that reason if you are of drinking age and minors are in your presence drinking then you are responsible for their actions. You can be charged with minor in possession. It doesn’t matter who’s beer it is you were there not him. Write me back and answer my questions so I can finish your question.

R

redpuma

In response...
By the way i 1m 19..not 21

(Q) Did the officer give you a copy of the papers? No, he never did give us anyhthing.

(Q) What was paper that you signed and what did it say? I signed the paper stating my rights, and a paper that gave them permission to search

(Q) Did it give them consent to search your dorm? Yes

(Q) What was the probable cause for them to come to your dorm? They said that there was reason to believe we had marijuana b/c i guess they saw smoke

Please respond...

Bravo8

The officer doesn't need PC to come to your room. That's the purpose of consent. The officers could legally knock on anydoor in the dorm and ask consent.

How old is your roommate?

If heis less than 21, then you could be charged with "Purchase, consumption, possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed beverages" (Title 75, section 6308).

If he is more than 21, than I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">