• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a Discrimination Law Suit ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

edj

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm a USA born American. I was just fired for no reason from a "All Spanish " company in West Plam Beach, Fl. The GM stated he wished not to continue with my Contract...??? I didn't know I had one and that was the only reason he gave me. They used to joke about how I should learn spanish. I didn't find that amuzing at all. Well do I have a Law Suit or what are my options ????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have not given us remotely enough information to say if you have a discrimination claim or not. What were the terms of your employment? Were you the only one let go? If not, did the others who were let go speak Spanish? Is the fact that you do not speak Spanish interfering with your ability to do your job (for example, do you have a great many Spanish speaking clients whom you have to interact with?) Are there other non-Spanish speaking employees who still work there? Did you have any write-ups or disciplinary issues? Just for starters.

E

edj

Ed

When origionally hired I was told I was hired for my excelent English (grammer) and abilities (Resume) by the new GM + I also had worked for this company in the past and had quit to move back up North and I was rehired by the company (Owner) when I moved back to Florida. All there customers speak English and was praised by them on how I handled there concerns / complaints on various job sites. They are a marble / granite company. No one else was fired but me. Also they placed a spanish person in my position at the same minute they fired me. I had "NO" write ups whatsoever. Plus I forgot to add in I'm 41 almost 42 years old. 95% of there employee's are in there 20's early 30's. The Unemployment Office for Florida recieved no bad comments from the GM and my unemployment went through just fine.They stated poor job performance, which was a total LIE. I only filled out an average application , nothing special. Also there is only one true Americam left in the Office and she is NOT on their payroll, she is there inhouse Accountant only paid what she does (contract) but her husband is spanish also and he did work for them Temporarily as an installer, so do you see this pattern ???? If I left anything out please email me back and let me know.

Thank - You

Ed

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you say Spanish person are you referring to someone who is Hispanic? Or someone who simply speaks Spanish?

Beth3

And what do you mean by "only one true American"? Do you mean they're Caucasian or do you mean only one employee was born in this country regardless of their ethnicity?

P.S. I don't mean this to sound snotty but since you prize yourself on your grammatical skills, you might want to sort out the use of their, there, and they're. They're not interchangeable.

E

edj

To: CBG

CBG:
Thanks for your reply. Yes all the owners and all other staff are from Colombia origininally, within the last 8 years or less. Bottom line do you believe I have a Case ??? are you an Attourney in Florida ??? Today I'm contacting the EEOC and start the process.

P.S Beth ~ I do realize the grammer , it's 3am and it's close enough for me, please don't respond anymore with your sarcastic answers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on your description you *may* have a case for discrimination; it's impossible to give you a definite answer with only the information available on a public bulletin board. Because you feel that your performance was not poor does not necessarily make their saying so a lie: they may have a different opinion. Certainly Beth raises a legitimate point; you say you were hired in part because of your English skills, but you do have several spelling and/or usage errors here. IF (and I say if - I obviously have no way of knowing) you have made such errors at work, it could legitimatize their "poor performance" statement. On the other hand, if it's just the effects of typing at 3:00 a.m. and you've never made any errors at work, that's a different story.

I am neither an attorney nor in Florida; there is a "Find a Lawyer" section to this web site. You might be better off sticking to the EEOC at least at first though; for one thing, they're free, and for another, often you have to complete the EEOC process before you can file a suit.

latarpley

Beth3, I will apologize

Beth3, let me apologize for the poster. I am sorry the poster does not understand that for proper advise you need proper terms. Honest questions are not sarcastic. We all appreciate your responses. You are a 'truthful personl'; I'm sorry, I mean a knowledgable human resource professional.

Beth3

Thanks, laterplay, but you certainly don't have to apologize for the other poster. Knowing my mentioning his grammatical problems would undoubtedly sound sarcastic and which I wouldn't have even brought up had he not brought it up first, I specifically said I wasn't intending to be sarcastic. Guess he didn't get it. Oh, well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">