• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cantonson

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was terminated for allowing a former employee to access the regional office to obtain his personal belongings. This person was supervised the entire time. Reason for termination was insubordination. Is this proper?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not illegal, if that's what you mean.

I'm assuming that you were not instructed to allow this person in, but did so of your own accord?

C

cantonson

I was not told by anyone that this action would result in terminaiton. In 9 years I had a clean work record with high marks on recent performance reviews. How can it be insubordination when clear direction is not given.

Beth3

You're not answering the question.

The question isn't "Were you told you'd get fired if you did this?" The question is "Were you told not to do this?" (or was there a company policy that prohibited this?) The fact that you weren't advised in advance of the consequences isn't necessarily relevant.

C

cantonson

No I was not told that I would be fired for doing this. I was also not informed that he was not permitted to access the office.There is no written policy or procedure stating this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact remains that you are in an at-will state, which means that you can quit for any reason at all and your employer can fire you for any reason not prohibited by law. So far you have provided no information to suggest that this is the case.

Unless you have a real reason to believe that someone of a different race, gender, religion etc. would NOT have been fired for the same offense, I'm not seeing any illegality about the firing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">