• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Company" Vehicle Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treeboss

What is the name of your state? Maryland

A former associate/employee has been working with my business for three years. OOPS! He's a crack addict! "Moved on" in early August but has come back (for the last time!) for money (to the tune of thousands!) to either "pay off debts" or "save himself from being killed".
After verbal and physical threats (yes, I have a peace order, now) and calls from customers wondering where we are (since they gave him a deposit, which he promptly forged, cashed and smoked...yes, I have proof and criminal charges pending), I gave him the title to the truck bought with company funds so he "would go away forever"!
I am now told, if I cancel the insurance (also under the company name c/o his name) I and my company would be held liable if he were to wreck or in some way cause harm or damage to anyone, since the title and insurance are in both names.
I am also told the only way to make this "go away" is to report the vehicle as stolen.
Well, since I voluntarily gave him the title, it's not exactly true to report the vehicle as stolen. I would be lying and may possible hinder the other charges pending (theft above $500, felony theft scheme, impersonating a member of my company, etc. BIG stuff!)
Isn't there a way to have the title transferred to just his name...which was the original intent of giving it to him to begin with but, in his "state" he cannot figure out how!...so I can take this truck and this man off the last remaining link he has to my business? I honestly don't WANT the truck back but neither do I want the responsibility for "driving while cracking" either!
The County Commissioner was of no help with this and motor vehicle and my insurance company say "stolen vehicle" is the only way out!
HELP!!! The only reason we had to put this vehicle under the "umbrella" of the other company stuff was he couldn't get insurance on his own AND, at the time, he actually worked for me more than one day a month!
Because of his outstanding warrants he has been "incognito" and avoiding arrest since August! I even reported his exact location yesterday and they couldn't find him! He's been borrowing all over town, based on my company's reputation for prompt payment and service! What can I do?!!:confused: :confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">