• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be fined for quitting?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scarletm00

What is the name of your state? FL

i just started with a comapny that does" market research " and i think its a bit shady ( They have put perfume on a telemarketing pig so to speak)...I just read in the employment manual that they WILL take 100 dollars from your final pay check for not giving 5 days notice!!!!! :confused: ( IE you dont have the right to just quit!!!!! )I have a feeling this isn't someone I want to work for...first, is this legal??????doesnt' it imply a contract???? has anyone heard of this????? please help me.
thanks from fla

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not legal, and if they actually do it you can report them to the state Department of Labor. If you are non-exempt you must be paid for every hour that you work, and if you are exempt you must be paid your full salary each week, with a couple of exceptions. Although the last week of work is one such exception, you still have to be paid the full amount for the number of days you work. This is Federal law, and seems to preclude any such fines.

However, you cannot report them for having such a policy, as they could claim it is only a deterrant and they would not actually put it into effect. Only when you get the check with $100 missing can you actually file a complaint.

Don't even go the implied contract route. For one thing, no, this doesn't, and for another, implied contracts are extremely hard to prove.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I should have added that of course, you can avoid the whole problem by simply giving the 5 days notice.

JETX

In addition to cbg's correct response, unless you signed a document agreeing to comply with the provisions of the 'employment manual', it can't be applied. Simply they cannot impose that requirement on you without your acceptance.

S

scarletm00

Thank you all for taikng time to respond to this. Based on my gut feeling I submitted my notice in writing effective immediately and told them where they could put the policy. I was only a new hire so thank god it was really no skin off my nose. Just 2 days wasted of training. It looks like its back to square one, but i hope to find a more "morale friendly" comapny in the future. :).
BTW...before this i had never heard of such a thing! Has anyone else? Is this a new practice or just this idiots bright and scammy/scummy idea? Just wondering.

D

dearprudence73

why not tell us what the product is so we wont help their cause by actually buying it!

S

scarletm00

The company I was employed at was "surveying" on "behalf" of car/boat/RV dealerships throughout the country. What I objected to so strongly ( hence why i called it a perfume on a telemarketing pig) was because if you recieved an answer to certian ? then you would automaticaly be dialed directly to that dealership to tell them that "Mr Jones will be in TODAY. Here is all his info what he wants etc" ...very detailed things about his wants and needs. This is not what I would concider as "unbiased" marketing research. (as they claim on the manual)
This is lead sales generation and people who make an honest living doing this make alot of money at it. I was reduced to 7 bucks an hour and no "finder fee"...the comapny got it. Then there was the "bonus structure" HA! You were paid for surveys per hour...BUT, and there is a big BUT here. those surveys were "graded" and you lost money off the bonus if you hadn't met certian criteria or you had typos or even missing commas!!!
So potentially, you could generate say...12 bucks an hour, but you were reduced to , say 8 if you didnt meet their overly picky standards. ( TOTAL SCAM ) Furthermore, upon reading thier own training manual, in which all of this is outlined, I found no less than 6 mispellings/and typos!!!!!!! that was a Huge red flag for me....then i stumbled upon this business about 100 buck fine for not giving 5 day notice.
Also you are told nothing about this upon being hired or in the interview. Its repeated over and over that its an "unbiased 3rd party marketing and that YOU ARENT SELLING THEM ANYTHING" well techincally I am not but we sure we generating a bunch of sales for the dealerships. Its a scam and thank god i was smart enough to see through it before i was in too deep.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">