• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momtokyle

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
My new husband would like to adopt my son. My son biological father is willing to volintary sighn off or terminate his parental right. My sons bio-father and i were never married, his name in NOT on the birth certificate, although there were paternity papers through a blood test done and court ordered child support. My Question: Do I Have to hire an attorney to go through this process or can someone with a bar degree who has some knowledge of the system help me, or do I have to go with someone who Specializes in Family Law? Thanks in advance for your advice...

Seanscott

Since the court recognizes him as the biological father, and he is willing to consent to the adoption, you could probably file a petition to adopt without an attorney.

An uncontested adoption through an attorney should not be real expensive. There will be some fees due to court costs & filing costs, whether you use an attorney or not. Here in Indiana, we also had to pay $100 for a home study.

It wouldn't hurt to get a consultation with a family attorney. He'll be able to tell you all the steps and give you a ballpark figure of his fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">