• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor question and job hunting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xiorod

What is the name of your state? NY
I was charged with a misdemeanor about 10 years ago. To be exact it was petit larceny. when I got hired at my current job I never was questioned on any criminal record. I have been there for 7 years and I am ready to change jobs. I understand other jobs may request this information. What can I do to clean up my record, what is the best way to approach it in the application? This has been holding me back from searching a better job for years and I think it is time I do something about it. Any advice would be great. thanks!

stephenk

it depends on the question on the job application. Almost all applications ask if you have any felony convictions. You can honestly answer no.

If the application asks for any criminal convictions, then you have to tell about your conviction.

In the meantime, consult with an attorney about expunging your misdemeanor conviction record.

K

KeyLegal

I agree completely with Stephenk's posting, which follows the law as I understand it. However, based on it being a misdemeanor and being 10 years ago, I am inclined to say I would not mention it. The likelhood of it coming up in a routine pre-employment search is not very high. This is a decision you must make for yourself. You have two people agreeing in part and disagreeing in part, but we won't be affected whichever way you choose to go. My suggestion to you is give it serious thought, make a decision, and stick with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">