• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interview questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lsutiger

What is the name of your state? Texas. I was told by the hiring manager I was going to be hired & had fully qualified for the job. His manager told him not to hire me, because I wanted to return to college on my offtime & he also had concerns about my 2nd family (I a divorced person who has remarried). Is this wrong?

D

dearprudence73

could be...but you have to look into the reasons he asked..

Does this job require out of the area and/or overnight travel? are there very busy days where you or you co-workers cannot take off work if the kid is sick, or days that you have to stay until a job is done no matter what the time is?....such as end of the month/quarter accounting, inventory, spreadsheets etc.? Or if your finals are in May & December and the companies busiest month is May and/or December!

What are the needs of the job? if its strickly 9-5 and its not critical to the business, if you take off at exactly 5 pm to make a 6 pm class then the questions are probably not legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The family issues completely aside, it is perfectly legitimate not to hire you if you are going to be in school part time and not available for the hours they want, or not available for a flex schedule. Regarding Prudence's answer, marital status is protected in several states but not in Texas; family status is only protected in the District of Columbia. Before saying whether it is or is not legal, I'd want to know precisely what the concern was and how it was presented. But the college thing is legit - they can not hire you for that reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">