• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired and not paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cabanatree

I was fired on Monday from my job and my boss alluded to me that he would not pay me for my services rendered. Is this legal and if not how do I go about pursuing this?

Beth3

It's possible he was just talking stupid and will come to his senses and realize that under the law he can't not pay you and that it's sure not worth the hassle that will result in. It's a violation of both state and federal laws.

If you post back and tell us what State you're in (there's a reason that's a "default" question when you posted), someone can tell you what your State's law says regarding final pay. Then if he doesn't pay you by that time, you may contact your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint.

C

cabanatree

I live in Tennessee. Sorry I didn't include that last time, my bad!

S

StressedOutInPA

In Tennessee yor employer must pay you buy the next pay day or 21 days, whichever comes later. (Tenn. Code. Ann. 50-2-103). If you are not paid by then contact your state's DOL Wage and Hour division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">