• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RPARMETE

I LIVE IN NEW YORK AND WAS FIRED FOR NOT COMMING TO WORK DUE TO AN ACCEDENT IN WHICH I HAD FRACTURED RIBS AND MANY OTHER INJURIES I PRODUCED A MEDICAL SLIP BUT WAS STILL LET GO IS IT LEGAL

Beth3

Yes, unless you qualify for FMLA. Clearly, your situation meets the definition of a "serious health condition" under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act.

In order to determine whether this applies to you, you need to post back and tell us (1) how long you've worked for this company (2) approximately how many employees they have and (3) whether you are full-time or part-time.

And just to clarify, did they fire you for being absent or did they fire you for not calling them and reporting your absence?

R

RPARMETE

I WAS THERE ABOUT 8 YEARS AND WAS FULL TIME AND DID CALL AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT HAPPEND AND THEY HAVE ABOUT 20 PEOPLE

Beth3

The federal FMLA applies only to employers with 50 or more employees. Sorry, you're out of luck there.

You may contact your State's DOL and inquire if you have a State version that is more generous but the odds are that is very unlikely. Sorry but it looks like there is no legal basis to contest your separation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they only have 20 employees than FMLA is not a factor and they are not required to hold your job while you are out for medical reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">