• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got fired need advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heidikoedel

ohio I was just fired today. Was warned that if I have to call off again due to unrelable babysitters then I will no longer have a job! I have had to call off in the past for a few days months, what have you. and due to the nature of my husbands job i had to call off a few days as well for that. The baby sitter problem just occured not long ago. however, when i first started working there I notified the management of the situation and they still agreed to hire me! No questions asked if i say no babysitter then i have no babysitter. Lately, since they switched management, I was threatened with my job. I currently ran into a really big family crisis to as where a family member went missing. and still is. I called off one day, the manager I talked to said that it was no problem and they would notify the other managers of my situation. I go to call off the second day due to the same situation and they said okay. today I try to call off and they said either you come into work or you have no job. easy choice for me. my job is important yes. but, its my family that is missing! can they really fire me. If I get the manager that had orriganally hired me say that they had agreed to those terms? can they fire me at all whenI have a family crisis as this? someone please help...... heidi

Beth3

Yes, they can fire you for your attendance and no, getting the former manager to say that he said it wouldn't be a problem when you couldn't come to work won't help. New management seldom has any responsiblity to live up to any committments made by the former management. And even if management hadn't changed, your former manager could have terminated you as well.

As is usually the case in attendance terminations, it's not the last absence that resulted in being fired, it's the culmination of all the absences for all the various reasons over the months that made them decide to let you go. Had you had stellar attendance, I expect that they wouldn't have batted an eye over your most recent family crisis.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can. To be blunt, your family crisises are not their problem. They need you at work and if you can't be there, they need to hire someone who can.

Nothing in the law requires them to hold your job because you have a babysitter problem. It would be nice of them to grant you some extra time with a family member missing but nothing in the law requires them to do that, either. Based on the info provided, I don't see anything illegal about them firing you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">