• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical documentation and breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

halfpint10

What is the name of your state? fl
The problem i am having is that I have legitimate medical disorder that causes me to have to use the restroom many times a day. My employer informed me today that the break schedules were now being determined my a computer. If I should need to use the restroom, and it is not during scheduled break time, I will be tracked and possibly terminated. I advised that I will me bring in medical documentation. my supervisor told me that it will just be stuck in my file and I will still have to follow the schedule or be tracked. Can they actually ignore medical documentation and possibly terminate me for using the restroom?

Beth3

Unless your medical disorder is such that it qualifies as a disabilty under the ADA and the employer must provide extra restroom breaks as a "reasonable accommodation," then I can't think of any reason why they would have to comply with your request, even with a doctor's note.

I expect your next question will be whether your condition invokes possible protection under the ADA. In many cases, that's not easily determined. I suggest you do some research via the internet on the Americans with Disabilities Act. There is ample information available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">