• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zxzx

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.
First,English is not my native language!
I am permanent resident of U.S.
This is my problem( or it may not be a real problem):
I was interested in one person during we worked at same Company, but we never talk to each other.
Right now ,we don't met each other!
I find her phone and address by public database
and I called her.
During a short conversation she said that she doesn't know
who I am,although I said my name, and also said name and place of comapny we had worked.
She got mad and she said nobody has phone number and she
doesn't know how I did get her phone!
After that she said again: I dont know you so it is better to
finish talk.
If I send to her post card with message that I appologize
for calling and make sure her who I am and what was reason
that I called her,would I be considered as a stalker if she go to the police with my post card?
I just feel I have to do that and it will my last step about it.
Probably,this story seems strange but I am interested in only what NJ law says.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, Latka, the following statutes define "stalking" and "harassment" in New Jersey. You read them and see if what you want to do violates the law or, to see how far you can go before you violate the law.

I've got to go. Louie is screaming for me to get into a cab.

Good luck,

Alex Reeger

============================================

Stalking

§ 2C:12-10. Definitions; stalking designated a crime; degrees. 1992. Amended 2001.
a. As used in this act:
(1) "Course of conduct" means repeatedly maintaining a visual or physical proximity to a person or repeatedly conveying, or causing to be conveyed, verbal or written threats or threats conveyed by any other means of communication or threats implied by conduct or a combination thereof directed at or toward a person.
(2) "Repeatedly" means on two or more occasions.
(3) "Immediate family" means a spouse, parent, child, sibling or any other person who regularly resides in the household or who within the prior six months regularly resided in the household.

b. A person is guilty of stalking, a crime of the fourth degree, if he purposefully or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear bodily injury to himself or a member of his immediate family or to fear the death of himself or a member of his immediate family.

c. A person is guilty of a crime of the third degree if he commits the crime of stalking in violation of an existing court order prohibiting the behavior.

d. A person who commits a second or subsequent offense of stalking against the same victim is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

e. A person is guilty of a crime of the third degree if he commits the crime of stalking while serving a term of imprisonment or while on parole or probation as the result of a conviction for any indictable offense under the laws of this State, any other state or the United States.

f. This act shall not apply to conduct which occurs during organized group picketing.

Harassment

§ 2C:33-4. Harassment. 1998. Amended 2001.
Except as provided in subsection e., a person commits a petty disorderly persons offense if, with purpose to harass another, he:

a. Makes, or causes to be made, a communication or communications anonymously or at extremely inconvenient hours, or in offensively coarse language, or any other manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm;

b. Subjects another to striking, kicking, shoving, or other offensive touching, or threatens to do so; or

c. Engages in any other course of alarming conduct or of repeatedly committed acts with purpose to alarm or seriously annoy such other person. A communication under subsection a. may be deemed to have been made either at the place where it originated or at the place where it was received.

d. (DELETED BY AMENDMENT, P.L. , C. )

e. A person commits a crime of the fourth degree if, in committing an offense under this section, he was serving a term of imprisonment or was on parole or probation as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this State, any other state or the United States.

stephenk

Dont send her anything. She told you she doesnt know you and was obviously upset that you got her phone number. Take the hint, she is not interested in you.

Beth3

Sending her a post card isn't going to meet the legal standard for stalking but I agree with the others - don't do it. She doesn't recall who you are and wasn't pleased to hear from you. Sending her a card will only "spook" her. Just leave it be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">