• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nysman

What is the name of your state? New York
When applying for employment, and going through the entire interviewing, screening, evaluation processes, can one then be disqualified for employment due to age when age was a part of the application process?

Beth3

I don't know what you mean by "when age was a part of the application process." Do you mean that you were asked what your age was on the application or during the interview?

Federal law prohibits discrimination on the basis of age (40+ years of age) except when there is a bonafide occupational qualification to hire a younger person. Those would be few and far between however. The only one that jumps to the top of my head would be the performing arts - you don't hire octegenarians to play Romeo and Juliet.

Could you explain your situation a little further.

S

swicket

Yes! Some States and Federal Dept/Labor does list a few occupations with age restrictions i.e. police, corrections officer, etc.
I understand the waste of time that is purcieved by you. However, the qualification determination in the hiring process may not be until after the interviewing, screening, evaluation, etc. has be performed.

Beth3

You're absolutely right, swickett. I wasn't thinking about public sector employment - there certainly are age limits for being accepted for law enforcement, firefighters, etc. Of course nys hasn't told us what kind of position he or she was pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">