• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked to resign due to moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmanton

What is the name of your state? Indiana

In May 2002 I was hired by the local county government health department. Soon after on June 17th 2002 my husband
was notified that we were to be transferred back to North Carolina by October 31st. I verbally notified my supervisor of the
situation but reassured her that I would be able to give at least 4
weeks notice as to my last day. On August 25th my supervisor verbally notified me that my last day of full time employment would be September 27th. When I questioned my supervisor as to the reason for my termination she stated I had done
nothing wrong, but she needed to hire someone to replace me.Since I was within my 6 month probation period she stated she had the right to dismiss me without reason. Up to that point I had not provided a written resignation or verbal
resignation. I am not ready to leave as I won't be moving until early november.
I have since provided a resignation letter which I stated I was writing under duress. My question is : Can an employer demand a resignation? I dont see where they could have terminated without a reason? Do they need reason?

Beth3

As you work in the public sector, I can't answer your question with complete certainty as there can be unique municipal statutes and rules that apply but generally speaking, there are no laws which prohibit your employer from doing this. The situation is unfortunate but I can understand why your employer doesn't wish to put any further training/effort into you given that you are a new employee who will be leaving soon. I expect their asking you for a resignation was a courtesy on their part, rather than just terminating you, as they could have done. This way, you can tell future prospective employers you resigned as opposed to "I was terminated."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">