• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arizona good samaritan statutes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purplerain

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I would like to know if Arizona has any good samaritan statutes or some similar laws that relieve liability of companies during emergencies for volunteers who are appropriately assigned to help in the disaster. (Not medical help) The help did involve the use of a company vehicle.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

purplerain said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

I would like to know if Arizona has any good samaritan statutes or some similar laws that relieve liability of companies during emergencies for volunteers who are appropriately assigned to help in the disaster. (Not medical help) The help did involve the use of a company vehicle.

My response:

Yes, Arizona has such a law. Unless you're found guilty of "gross negligence", there is no liability to a good samaritan in the event of a social or private emergency.

Arizona's Good Samaritan law is found at A.R.S. § 32-1471 and says:

"Any health care provider licensed or certified to practice as such in this state or elsewhere, or a licensed ambulance attendant, driver or pilot as defined in § 41-1831, or any other person who renders emergency care at a public gathering or at the scene of an emergency occurrence gratuitously and in good faith shall not be liable for any civil or other damages as the result of any act or omission by such person rendering the emergency care, or as the result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured persons, unless such person, while rendering such emergency care, is guilty of gross negligence."

However, you had no authority to volunteer your employer's property (the vehicle). The law only protects you from liability from the persons you are protecting or assisting. It does not protect you from Third Party liability; e.g., the use of your boss' truck without his prior permission.

While I can sympathize with your situation, the above law is not "compulsory"; i.e., you had a choice whether to assist, and you could have just as easily pointed your truck back to work, and hopped into your own vehicle - - or, you could have chosen not to assist at all.

So, the law won't help you with the loss of your job.

Nice try though.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">