• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hate crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lauras2u said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

"Do hate crimes exist?"

========================================

My response:

Did the German attempt to eradicate Jews during WWII (known as the Holocaust) happen?

IAAL

Bravo8

Laura, am I correct in assuming this question is posted in response to my hate crime comment in our other thread?

If so, what I meant was that most crimes are committed with a certain element of "hate". An assault on a black male by another black male contains an element of hate, just as does an assault on a black male by a white male. Both are "hate-motivated", therefore calling it a "hate crime" is redundant. It's like calling it an illegal crime.

My point was that "hate crime" is a popular buzzword used by certain factions of our society. Hate crime legislation is BS. If they want to make the penalties stiffer, they should make them stiffer. Not toughen the law in only some cases........

lauras2u

The definition of a hate crime: any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation).

Now it should seem clear the difference betwen a hate crime and one man beating another because he doesn't like him. In a hate crime, the victim is chosen by what they are (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation) not who they are or what they did. I might hate my husband and kill him but i chose him because of who he is...not because of what he is....this is not a hate crime.

Hate crimes intrinsically have perfered victims. A gay bashing necessitates that they think the potential victim is gay.

Here in IL, the first offense is a class 4 felony, a probational offense. It takes 2 *convictions* to be sent to prison.

Asserting that hate crimes do no exist is foolish.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">