• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suspended26

What is the name of your state? PA
I WAS LAID OFF FROM WORK A LITTLE OVER 2 MONTHS AGO IAM COLLECTING UNEMPLOYMENT FOR 2 MONTHS .RECIVED LETTER FROM UNEMPLOYMENT A WEEK AGO STATING EMPLOYER FIGHTING COMPENSATION DO TO MY NEVER RETURNING TO WORK AFTER SUSPENTION I WAS TO TO LEAVE WORK AND THE WOULD CALL IF I WAS NEEDED IN TURN I LOOK AT TAT AS BEING LAID OFF .SHOULD I HAVE HAD TO SIGN SOMETHING SAYING I WAS SUSPENDED.I ALSO RECIVED A PAY CHECK FOR THE FEW HOURS I WORK THAT WEEK WHITCH HAD PAYMENT FOR UNIFORMS DEDUCTED WHICK WAS MORE THAN MY PAY SO THE PAID ME A SICK DAY TO MAKE UP FOR IT .VERY CONFUSE HERE WOULD LOVE SOME HELP THANKS

Beth3

Please don't post in all caps - it's very hard to read.

Could you clarify what happened when you were "suspended." That would seem to mean that either an investigation was taking place due to suspected misconduct or you were given a suspension as punishment for misconduct.

A suspension is not the same as a layoff. You need to explain exactly what was going on so we can advise you.

S

suspended26

Laid off

(sorry for caps)i reported to work on time,clocked in a manager asked me if everything was ok with me.i told him fine the night before i went to an inteview and the called for a reference.manager told me to give him my notice i then told him i didnt have a reason to .he then told me to just go home he would call me if i was needed thats why i thought i was laid off and so did unemployment i filed that day and they told me i had a wait week after the week i filed again 2 weeks later i recieved 2 checks.ive recived checks for 2 months now .but recived a letter stating employer was fighting payment doto i never returned from suspention .there was never anythingsaid or shown to me about suspention.i was told i would be called and if i was needed

Beth3

So if I have the story straight, you went for an interview with another empoyer, they called your manager for a reference (a REALLY poor thing for them to do unless you gave your permission), and when you got to work, your manager asked for your resignation. You declined and so your boss told you to go home and he'd call you if they needed you back. That's the last you heard from the employer.

These circumstances certainly appear to make you eligible for UC benefits. If your employer is giving the UC Division a different version of the events, it's going to come down to who the adjudicator believes. Absent the employer being able to demonstrate that you engaged in some kind of misconduct and received a disciplinary suspension, they don't have much of a case to fight your receiving benefits. Plus it doesn't make sense that the employer never contacted you to return to work or never sent you notice that you were being terminated for failure to return to work from your "suspension." Like I said, they sure don't have much of a case to contest your benefits.

I presume a hearing will be scheduled - you need to show up at the hearing and tell the administrative law judge exactly what took place and then hope for the best. That's all you can do. (Plus, you should be actively looking for a new job!) Good luck.

S

suspended26

LAID OFF

thats it in a nut shell thamks for you time and help suspended26

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">