• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination/ race discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shellbone620

What is the name of your state? new jersey
my friend was fired because she and another worker was discovered stealing from their employer my friend is white and her friend was asian....they didnt fire her friend because they feared a race based employment complaint....i want to know if my friend has a valid complaint if she sues...and if she do what grounds would she sue because she was caught stealing....please help me!!!!! if she doesnt let me know why?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your friend has a tricky problem.

On the one hand, it's illegal to treat employees differently BECAUSE OF their race. On the other hand, it's by no means illegal to fire someone because they were caught stealing.

If she really wants to call the EEOC and say that she was guilty of stealing and so was someone else, and she got fired and the other wasn't and it was because of race, she has that right. There's no question that it's illegal to use race as a determining factor in determining who gets fired. It's possible it might get her, her job back after about three years.

Is she really going to want to go back to work for them under those conditions? If so, the EEOC is her next stop.

JETX

I really can't believe your claim that the reason the other person wasn't fired for THEFT was due to fear of a race discrimination complaint!!! What proof do you have that was the reason the other person was NOT terminated?? Or is just, someones 'belief".

If the evidence against both parties involvement was substantial enough to force termination, then there would be NO case for discrimination by the retained party.... and therefore, no issue of discrimination against the employer!!

We are definitely not hearing the full story here!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">