• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karmelized

I realize that Pennsylvania is an at-will state, however, how can an employee be terminated with a contract. There is nothing in the contract that states a probationary period, there are no policy and procedures, etc. stating anything about firing employees. Do I have a leg to stand on?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon the exact wording of the contract and the reason for the firing. I doubt that a contract, unless spectacularly badly worded, would require an employer to keep on an employee caught embezzling, to use an extreme example. You will have to have a PA lawyer review to contract for a definitive answer.

K

Karmelized

There is no reasoning for the firing...just didn't work out. The contract letter does not state anything about probationary period and the CFO stated that the firing was justified because she could fire any time within the probationary period.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My answer remains the same: for a conclusive answer you will have to have a local attorney review the agreement. There is no possible way I can assess the enforceability of a document I have not seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">