• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ANGELGRASS

What is the name of your state? n.c. i have gotten re-married and want badly for my new husband to adopt my only child from a prior mariage. the bio-dad has not seen my son in over 3 years and is constantly behind on support and been in jail several times for non-payment. he will not give up parental rights, he has not paid support in 2 1/2 months is there any way possible to get him out of the pix forever?

Seanscott

Have your husband file a petition to adopt with your consent. In North Carolina, "extreme parental disinterest" is one reason to ask the courts to terminate your ex-husband's parental rights. "Failure to maintain contact" is another reason.

Just because he sporadically pays support, does not mean he has the right to stop any adoption efforts by your new husband.

If he really wants to fight you, the adoption process may take more than a year.

One thing you will have to keep in mind. The court will do whatever is in the child's best interest.

You may be in for a battle, but since your ex has no desire to see your child, I don't think he'll put forth the effort or pay the expense to protect his "rights".

Stick to your guns, do not communicate with your ex, and your husband should win the adoption.

Make a consultation with a family lawyer. Some will see you for free, some will charge $100, but you need good advice.

I'm not a lawyer, but have had to learn the hard way about the stepparent adotion process.

You have a winnable case. Wishing you the best.

A

ANGELGRASS

STEP PARENT ADOPTION

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. RIGHT NOW THE SHERIFF IS HAVING TROUBLE SERVING THE EX W/PAPERS TO BE IN COURT ON THE 16TH. I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE A LAWYER TO FIGHT HIM, AND HE WILL PUT UP A FIGHT W/THE HELP OF HIS DAD, ALL BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT TO LOSE HIS NAME ON MY SON.I WON'T GIVE UP THOUGH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">