• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

elimination of area serviced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fawny girl

What is the name of your state? New York
I was recruited by an LTL carrier to build the LI NY, NJ area by acquiring customers both local and National Accounts. I was very secure at my previous employer but was presented a sound business plan for the future. 6 months into the plan my employer now claims he is not going to service this market.

Upfront they promised 3 weeks vacation useable during this past summer, I did not use them. I was going to take time before going to the new company if I couldnot use them this past summer. They said they wanted me to start immediately.

He is now offering the 3 weeks as severance, that's it. I could still be at my previous employer (still funding my 401, pension) making $5000 more per year.

Do I have any recourse to get more serverance?

Debra

JETX

"Do I have any recourse to get more serverance?"
Nope. In fact, there is no legal requirement to pay ANY severance. And unless you have something in writing as to the 'pre-earned' vacation, there is no obligation for them to pay that either. Finally, though there may have been promises as to future plans, etc., unforeseen consequences can change them and without a contract, they can't be held liable for 'business plans' either.

I suggest taking the 3 weeks offered and moving on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">