• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption to Custodial mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

upsetfather

I recently agreed to let the mother of my child and her husband to adopt my son. I signed release papers for the adoption, obtained counseling, the whole nine yards. Since I sent the paperwork back to her to provide to the court that is handling the adoption case, she has not submitted the paperwork or atleast she tells me she hasnt and its been three weeks. I feel kind of wierd about it as if shes doing something else with the paperwork. Shes in colorado state and I have no way of knowing when and where she will submit this. How do I know if shes really submitting the paperwork or not? Will I get notification from the courts that a case is open and will my child support cease after its done? We have been talking about this adoption for more than two years now and I didnt want to do it originally because I was being selfish. I realized that it would greatly benefit my son and now Im worried i made a mistake! Please help!

D

dorenephilpot

Such filings are public record.

You can call the court clerk in the county in which she lives and periodically check to see whether the adoption petition has been filed.

That way you can check without pestering her or appearing overly impatient.

FYI, three weeks isn't an inordinate amount of time to wait.....

U

upsetfather

Thanks

Thanks for your response! I will contact the clerk and check up on it. Three weeks is a long time to wait to submit the paperwork especially when the mother has rushed you to get it to her and has also stated that the adoption was for the benefit of my son! You would think that she would make a little effort to "rush" it on her end..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">